An interesting thing happened to me last Sunday. It was _1_ a beautiful day that I decided to drive in the country.
On my way home, my car ___31___. It was out of gasoline on a road away from a town. I decided to walk along the road until I found someone who could give me some gasoline.
I 32 almost a mile before I finally found a big house near the road. I was 33 to see it because it was getting dark.
I knocked on the door and a “small” old lady with long white hair answered. She said, “I’ve been waiting for you for a long time. Come in, please. I got _34__ ready for you.”
“But I’ve come here only 35 some gasoline,” I answered. I didn’t know what she was talking about. I didn’t understand her.
“Oh, Tony! Petrol? You used to love tea.”
I quickly explained __36___ my car was out of gasoline, but she didn’t seem to hear me. She just kept 37 me Tony and talking about how long it had been since she hadn’t seen me. She was talking so strangely that I was anxious to leave. As soon as she went to get the tea, I went out of the house as 38 as possible.
I was so happy when I saw another house by the road. I was able to get some gasoline. When I told the man about the old lady, he said, “Oh, that’s Helen. She lives all by herself in that big house. She’s ___39___ but she wouldn’t hurt anyone. She is still waiting for the man she was going to marry twenty-five years ago. The man 40 Tony. The day before their wedding he went away and never came back.”
31. A. broke down B. worked well C. stopped D. fell over
32. A. have walked B. had walked C. had driven D. was walking
33. A. sad B. disappointed C. pleased D. sorry
34. A. gasoline B. milk C. tea D. water
35. A. for B. with C. get D. buy
36. A. if B. whether C. what D. that
37. A. to call B.calling C.to shout D.shouting
38. A. sooner B. faster C. fastly D. quickly
39. A. kind B. warm-hearted C. strange D. friendly
40. A. named B. was named C. was naming D. called